Loves gumbo: Ingredients for loving and lasting relationships

Our families are falling apart and are in crisis. Want to do something to ensure that your family stays together or that you choose the right mate. Make this small investment for $3.99 and start the journey of thinking differently about love.

Here's my new Jewelry Rockstar Website



Friday, March 13, 2009

I miss Lauryn Hill



I have days when I'm good and I can accept that Lauryn Hill has dropped out of the music business, to protest, or to raise her offspring or because she just isn't interested, or because she can't be in it on her terms. Most days I am fine, and I can respect her decisions. Other days I am sad and have a deep longing for her gifts to grace our ears and hearts once more. I had a day last year where I was really angry because Jazmine Sullivan put a song similar to the Lauryn Hill sound. I couldn't be mad at Jazmine, she is a star in her own right, but I was just mad.

Today is one of those days when I wish Lauryn Hill was still performing or least still producing. Her gift is very special. She is meant to lead people to Spirit. She is that first step some see before moving on the the next step, and then the next. Her words provide that first glimpse of wisdom for those who may be walking in darkness and don't know it. Now of course, there are others who have and will continue to come behind and alongside her in this role, but her space can never be filled because it was created especially for her wisdom, insight, and purpose.

Here are some images of that fly girl.






7 comments:

T.Allen said...

Joe (The Favorite Guy) mirrored your remarks in the car a few weeks ago. Lauryn Hill had/has the gift of transcendence, there are few (if any) artists that I can seriously get into alongside my children and have us each thoroughly enjoy and glean something from them lyrically and rhythmically.

I respect her decision-cause to question it would go against the belief that she knows what's up, I still miss her though!

(I don't even know who Jazmine Sullivan is..eep)

MBB Founder and Editor Denene Millner said...

Oh, say word, baby. Say word.
Miss her so...

(and you betta WRITE IT! This post was BEAUTIFULLY written...)

Barbara said...

Definitely! I got super excited when she stepped out of the shadows to reunite briefly with her group, and then just like that, she was gone again. She is definitely needed and missed... and I can see how Jazmine can be compared to her sound.

Unknown said...

I too miss her. The last time I saw her perform was with The Fugees they are making a comeback - supposedly but it never manifested. I think she is dealing with personal issues and I hope she resolves them soon.

I am so glad that I am not alone in thinking that Jazmine bit off of the Lauren Hill sound, she really needs to stop it.

Breath of Light said...

*sigh*

I miss her too.

Unknown said...

i hear ya on every point. i've just given up on even trying to express, cause people don't be feelin' me.

major, major fan for years and years. non other like her.

Jennifer said...

I love Lauryn too. She is so amazing and never boring or status quo. I can't think of anyone who's come close yet.